Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sawyer Kirk Hunter

Our little man just couldn't wait to join this world and to meet all his family and friends. Sunday night, 11/13/2011 at about 8:30pm I went to the bathroom and was having some bleeding. It wasn't much but told the nurse and they hooked me up to the monitors to watch. Baby as usual was being is rockstar self and I wasn't having any contractions. However I did start to have some cramping. When I say cramping, I mean cramping. I seriously have never had such painful cramping in my entire life. All I could think about was if this is what labor was going to be like there was no way I was going to make it through without pain meds! The bleeding and the cramping continued to intensify so at about 9:30 I called Marcus to let him know that it was getting worse. I tried to tell him that is was nothing and to stay home, but it was probably a good thing he didn't listen to me! My doctor was called and so was the prenatal doc. At about 10:30 the prenatal doc stopped in and saw the amount of bleeding and decided it was time to go. Because of the amount of bleeding a vaginal delivery was out of the question and it was time to do a c-section. Let me tell you, when this decision is made, things move super quickly. I had a bunch of nurses start working on getting me prepared. IV's were being put in, forms being signed, etc. Marcus got to wear this awesome jump suit and you should have seen how excited he was! My doctor was on his way in as well to do the c-section with the prenatal doc. Once in the OR, I was given something called a spinal. This is a shot of numbing stuff that basically numbs you from the chest down and it takes affect immediately. Before the shot was all the way done my feet were numb. I was given some oxygen just to help me breath. The also monitor my pulse and blood pressure through the whole thing. The actual surgery took only a matter of minutes. Marcus said from the time he entered the room to the time the baby was out, it was like 7 minutes. He said it was one of the craziest things he has ever seen! As the mother, you of course don't get to see the surgery, not sure I would have wanted to! I could feel them moving around and some pressure when pulling the baby out, but no pain. Oh man, when he came out he screamed and screamed which was what we all wanted to hear considering the main concern was his lungs! To everyone's relief, lungs were at a 100%, his blood sugar was great, and he was completely healthy! Sawyer Kirk Hunter was born at 12:18am on 11/14/2011. He weighed in at 6 lbs 6 ozs and was 19 1/4 inches long and I am sort of partial but he was perfect! Because he was born by c-section I didn't get to hold him until I was completely stitched back up. This process takes the longest, seemed to be about a half hour. Marcus however got to cut the cord and hold him while I was being stitched up so I got to sit and stare at my little wonder the whole time! He definitely was telling us all about his journey and continued to squawk the whole time. The doctors and everyone were certainly happy to hear it though. After I was stitched back up, we went to recovery to spend a couple of hours and make sure everything was good before heading to our room. Having never had major surgery before I could not believe how sore I was. Each day gets better, but getting up and down is somewhat of a struggle and I don't move very quickly. Sounds like we are heading home on Thursday the 17th. Currently the little guy is a little jaundice and is on a billi blanket. We are hoping the billi blanket gets to stay at the hospital and not have to come home, but I will take it. Better than being in the ICU! Most important thing is that we had a healthy precious little boy that we get the pleasure of introducing to all our family and friends. Some he has already met and I think they are just as smitten by him as his mom and dad! Can't wait for those who haven't gotten the chance to meet him to meet him. I will continue to keep you update!
JO

No comments:

Post a Comment